From how to keep hair healthy to advice on the perfect facial care routine, we’ve got some easy male grooming tips to keep you looking your best. Follow the guidelines below and you’ll be guaranteed to leave an impression.
FOLLOW A GOOD SKINCARE ROUTINE
- Regular cleansing removes dirt and excess oil that clog pores and cause breakouts. Aim for twice a day, but once will suffice (in the evening).
- Always follow cleansing with a moisturiser. This adds moisture and protects the skin’s barrier from external aggressors.
- Look for light formulas as well as ones with added sun protection. Providing your skin with UVA and UVB protection will stop your skin burning and will help reduce wrinkles and damage.
- Exfoliate once a week to remove any build-up of dead cells.
KEEP HAIR HEALTHY
- A healthy scalp will help hair grow, so nourish yours by applying a leave-in conditioner every day.
- Try to only wash your hair once or twice a week at the most. Ethnic hair tends to be quite dry, and over-washing can make the problem worse. You can get it wet, just don’t use very hot water on it, as this also dries it out.
- Look for products containing natural oils like argan oil, shea butter or olive oil, as these will absorb and penetrate better than mineral oils and petroleum-based products.
GET A CLEAN SHAVE
- Use plenty of gel or cream to reduce the friction between your skin and the razor’s blades. Less friction means less chance of razor burn.
- Shave gently; the razor needs to do the work, not you.
- Shave the sides of your face first, then the upper lip, and finally the chin and next to your ears.
- Once you’re smooth, apply a post-shave cream or gel. These are designed to soothe and calm the skin after shaving. Avoid aftershaves that contain alcohol.
TAKE CARE OF YOUR LIPS
Yes, we know fussing over lips is normally women’s territory, but the skin on your lips is very thin and doesn’t have any oil glands to keep them moisturised. Regular application of a lip balm with a SPF will keep them soft and nourished.